5/18/2017 Student Government Meeting

 

President Updates

  • BBQ – May 26 from 530 PM
    • Senators send reminder emails to colleges
    • Budget: $300-400
    • Venmo: Umaru $5 each by next Tuesday
    • Location:Medical Park
    • Co-Hosts: Kevin Vu, Danny Xu, who else?
      • Kyle will make drinks.
  •  President’s Meeting Yesterday on Wednesday update
    • New Wednesday curriculum addition
    • Mandatory M&Ms on Wednesday afternoons at lunch.
      • Maybe lower the number of mandatory M&Ms or consider making only the most important ones mandatory.
  •  Feedback of year: What can we do better as StuGov?
    • Keep enforcing the 5-minute rule per topic.
    • Have a way to get classmates involved and inform students about what’s going on in student government and things going on around school – maybe make the blog link more visible.
    • Keep on with the meetings once every 2 weeks.
      • Maybe make sure it doesn’t coincide with colleges or come at an inconvenient time.

StuGov Update

  • CurriculumJudging from comments, we don’t think people read the midterm proposal. A large amount of anonymous people think we’re proposing 1 midterm and 1 final exam for each course in PC2 & PC3. We are going to delay the vote to Friday, so that we can address this misinformation. In other news, the LGBTQ healthcare proposal will be adopted.
    • Not enough backing for general comments on courses, so we want a higher (100% rate) response rate.
    • One reason people don’t fill out RedCAP is the length. Maybe we can have a weekly mini-RedCAP with just the professor-feedback portion of it – would have more accuracy and response rate. At the end of the course, we can still have the overall course feedback RedCAP.
    • Possibly do surveys on Moodle (worth a point)
  •  OSR- What should I focus on moving forward (MSPE, SVI, Step 1). How does everyone feel about CBLs?
    • General vote – is everyone in favor or not in favor of MSPE: all in favor
    • SVI: opposition because it seems like another pointless metric, requires more work
      1. There is a reporting system for technical issues
      2. How do they prevent cheating?
        1. You don’t get the questions until you watch the video.
      3.  Step 1 changes: most opposed
      4. CBLs: YES!
        1. Maybe have the CBLs earlier (like the information)
          1. Still do it the last week but send out info earlier.
        2. Maybe have the CBL cases be less obvious.
    •  DIA- We met with Dr. Sendelbach and the Endocrinology course directors. During both meetings, we discussed our proposal which was well received. We agreed that Colleges have the potential to integrate more information on LGBTQ health content and there should be initiatives to introduce standardized patients and open discussions on LGBTQ concerns. The main hurdle in Endocrinology is covering both basic and complex information on sex education as well as being able to discuss LGBTQ health concerns throughout the course.
      • Basic sex ed needs to be incorporated – we need to start from scratch – possibly an online module on sex ed.
      • Incorporate a few LOs each block on this to raise awareness about challenges they will face.

Committee Updates

  • Research Committee – We will be having the Mentor-Mentee Panel today at 12PM in room D1.106. Feel free to come through. Dr. Tandon, Karp, and Galindo will be there to answer any questions you may have before you start your summer research. Also, we met last Wednesday to start setting up summer events, so be on the lookout for those if you’re around and are interested.  
  • DART Committee – We will have another Wiles Wellness event on the 23rd before the TBL. Also, we are continuing to work with Dr. Wiles and Dr. Haley. We will be meeting with them again over the summer to set up our events and survey before the next school year begins. 

4/24/17 Student Government Meeting

President Updates

  • President’s meeting
    1. Secretary has been made an elected position in StuGov. Work on making DART and Research elected positions. Make sure to keep DART and Research going in the next class so it’s easier to make it an elected position in the future.
    2. 1 of the 3 social chairs will be a DART liaison in the future.
  •  Meeting Reminders
    • Monday 4/24 at 11am (Today)
    • Thursday 5/9 at 11:15am
    • Thursday 5/18 at 10:15am
  •   Roast feedback – It was good. Another one in the fall.
  • Email List of student organizations – Currently have 60 student groups
  • End of the Year BBQ / Competition – May 26
    • Work with senators and social chairs.
  •   Suzi gift – think about ideas
  • PRE-OP to do list – VD, Water Bottle, Instruments, and Afternoon Sessions for PRE-OP – More info in June!
  • People’s Choice Award for Fall
    • We want to add this to Faculty Excellence Reception

StuGov Updates

  • SenatorsCollege Olympics are coming up soon!
  • Curriculum – We will give feedback to the Pulmonary Course Directors and propose the exam schedule for PC2 & PC3 at the PCC meeting in May. We’re working with DIA on a pilot project with Endocrine, but plan to present it to the PCC meeting in June. Next year, for all preclerkship courses, we will need to make at least a 65 on the Final Exam, in addition to a 70 overall course grade, to pass them (Exception: Human Structures with 60 on individual test). Moreover, path quizzes will be at least 5% and there might be more representation of it on exams.
    • 15% for each of the quizzes
    • GI: midterm Friday of second week, Monday of fourth week, and 0% problem set
    • For pathology, Drs. Wilson and Richardson are concerned about quiz performance. Asking about having 5 questions/lecture on the final that are path.
  •  OSR- Southern OSR conference was really informative and exciting! Wanted to start with a shoutout to everyone in student government. You guys work x10000000 harder than literally anyone at any other school, and we have so many incredible opportunities and unique programs going on here that others don’t. Our school is undoubtedly the best and I’m so glad to go here, and all you wonderful people in SG are a key part of that.
    • Key points of contention from the OSR business meeting
    • Standardized Video Interviews for EM Residency Applications
    • The cost of residency applications and transparency of program information
    • Changes to Step 1
    • I also saw a lot of awesome posters and learned a lot of info about many, many things. I’m going to be writing a full conference report soon, so look out for that. I’m more than happy to take meetings/host focus groups/town halls/etc. To discuss the conference and anything I learned.
  •  DIA
    • Working on meeting with Endocrine course director to discuss LGBT issues being included in the course, as well as preparing to present at curriculum meeting at adding slides/LO’s in various classes related to healthcare topics addressing both cultural and LGBT issues.
  •  Electives – Getting elective attendance tallied for college olympics
  • Convergence – Upcoming Events and meetings
    • Bowling this friday from 5pm – 7pm
    • Social Pie event – May 19
    • Next meeting – May 24
    • Healthcare and Biomedical Research Symposium – September 16, 2017
  •  Global HealthSpring break reflections are Tuesday, April 25 from 3-5pm in D1.200
  • Social Chairs – looking at pizza deals; Boat Party

 

 

4/13/17 Student Government Meeting

StuGov Updates – 4/13/17 at 2:45PM

President Updates

  • Dog Therapy Update – It might be possible to hold the event in the health professions building, how would the student government feel about having the event in their separate space.
  • Meetings for the last 2 months of school
    1. Monday 4/24 at 11am
    2. Tuesday 5/9 at 11:15am
    3. Thursday 5/18 at 10:15am
  •  Roast – we might need some help with getting people to sit in the front rows rather than the back, who can be there and just physically block off the back rows starting at 4:45PM Wednesday April 19th?

StuGov Updates

  • Senators – We need help with running the Summer Olympics on May 3rd. Please come out and sign up! Senators have been meeting up throughout the month to figure out the logistics of the Olympics, rules, etc.
    1. Olympics first week of renal.
    2. Senators put in a lot of time and work, so please come out!
  •  Curriculum – Had feedback meeting for Cardio.
    1. There will be quite a few changes for Cardio – they will include an Embryo review in the first week; we didn’t hear anything about the final.
    2. Another point of contention for Cardio was wanting another assessment during the block.
    3. Paul: Something they said they said in the M&M was that we used to have an assessment on drugs, but we should have this in the future.
    4. Possibly could all the autonomics from O&H be moved to Cardio? Schedule is tight, so a problem set should make up for that, but they will try to fix it.
    5. Pulm quiz will emphasize post-physio.
    6. For short answer – it’s easy to run out of time.
    7. Expect a quiz in renal. Renal will also be kind of like cardio. Lot of physiology.
  • Test – Had a conversation with Dr. Lee, confirmed that we will be taking test challenges for the upcoming quiz and exams for the pulmonary block
    1. He has been very accommodating about feedback.
    2. Changes that were accepted for cardio should already be in place, in terms of grades.
  • OSR- Sanjana’s presentation on the DART committee for the AAMC conference has been approved. If you have any input on the committee, or anything else you’d like me to look into during the conference (match, wellness, diversity, tuition, march for science, etc. literally anything) let me know, or feel free to shoot me an email/message during the conference (4/19-4/23).
  • DIA- We have been working with the curriculum reps and PRIDE to integrate more LGBTQ information into our curriculum. Our goal is to introduce this information throughout our Endocrinology block through slides, learning objectives and possibly test questions. We are working on an outline and proposal to be presented during the curriculum committee meeting. Lastly, we met with the other DIA representatives and discussed current and future events.
  •  Electives – approved History of Medicine elective for the fall term.
  • Global Health – Deadline for summer projects is due THIS SATURDAY, April 15th. There’s a lot of stuff to turn in so good luck to everyone who is working on this. Post-spring break reflections will also be coming up in the next two weeks so please come out and support your peers who have done some really amazing work that week.
  • Social Chairs – boat party happening may 5. Lot of enthusiasm
    1. We may get pizza. 
  •  Secretary – sending out an Excel spreadsheet with the next few Sunday and Wednesday emails for student organizations to submit their officers/contact info. It has been suggested that I should stop including events in the weekly emails if the respective StuOrg has already sent out a mass email about the event without getting permission.
    1. Not much can be done till the StuOrg meeting next August. For now, send out a blurb to all the student organizations and their officers encouraging the right mass email rules, but we’ll work on enforcing things next year.

Committee Updates

  • Research Committee – So far this month, we recently had 2 very successful and informational workshops- Library Resources and Dr. Tandon’s talk yesterday on medicine and research. We appreciate everyone who helped organize these events as well as those who came, and we hope you learned something new (which I think everyone I talked to afterwards said they liked the workshops and benefitted a lot). We do have notes for the Library Resources workshop if anyone wants them, shoot me an email. We will continue working with other professors and departments to continue these educational workshops. Also, we will be continuing our monthly research discussions at the beginning of May. As always, if you have any suggestions or a topic/question you’d like to learn about, let us know!
  • DART Committee – Not sure where we left off last, but we met with Dr. Wiles at the end of March to discuss both short term (this semester) plans as well as long-term goals. So, in terms of this semester, we are hoping to kickstart our Wiles Wellness events hopefully before/after a TBL or the Microbio lab activity. We will be meeting again with Dr. Wiles these upcoming days and will discuss further with Dr. Wagner, who seemed on board last time we talked. If anyone has any strong opinions on whether they’d like it before versus after a TBL event or at a specific time (say after the iRAT/gRAT), let us know. As for long term goals, we are working with the Mental Health office and Dr. Wiles and his team of psychiatrists to come up with a good survey looking at stress within medical students and various correlations that may lead to better understanding how we can address our mental health. There’s much more we are working on as well such as the Sober Squad and the points-rewards system; we will keep you updated!
  • Thank You Committee – thank you cards done for Cardio patients

 

 

3/15/17 Student Government Meeting

 

President Updates

  • Constitution Amendments proposal
    1. Current committees as part of StuGov permanently
      • We want to make the chairs of the committees elected positions for next year, because some of these committees are important and need to be continued in the long run. Basically, DART, research, ambassadors and thank you committee should be continued. When these people are elected, they will work with the second years to get them ready to take over.
      • Thank you committee and ambassador committee – thank you committee is not so much work so the person who leads the ambassador committee could probably just take over the thank you committee as well.
      • We want to cut down social chairs to 2 people and elective committee to 1. We should also explore cutting other positions down. 
      • Criterias that committees have to meet to be included in stugov permanently? Stugov will vote to make it permanent, versus keeping it just for the semester. The ones we have this semester are committees that should last for all years; they are essential.
      • Committee leaders would be elected stugov officer positions.
  •  Step 1 Resources
    1. School resources at our disposal
      • We were going to ask curriculum people to list out the services available (board vitals, things on the O drive, etc.) to students that we could send out.
    2.  Pathoma, Firecracker, UWorld
      • We got an email saying we should get the discounts now.
      • We’ll get UWorld in the fall.
  •  Student Organizations
    1. List of officers for every organization/MS2020 Emails
      • Emails have been crazy, so it would be great for each org to have their own listserv so they can send out emails to those listservs so otherwise, it would just be sending it to those orgs.
      • We could potentially partner with Wes Norred, have a pdf with all the stuorg officers and have a huge meeting to talk about this.
      • You can join groups at will on Outlook. We can send out instructions to stuorg officers to send out their own listservs.
  • Pet Therapy
    1. We have a pavilion scheduled for the event along with the health professionals school but pet therapy told us they would not do it outside. We don’t have approval for any of the inside rooms. We could do it somewhere else but the probability of students driving/walking over elsewhere is low.
  •  Medical School Roast – April 19 at 5PM

StuGov Updates

  • Senators – Our presentation to the Masters on Feb 27th went well. The spring semester Olympics are scheduled for May – please let us know if you have any suggestions for how we can do the Olympics differently this time.
    • Summer Olympics on Wednesday, May 3rd (cardio quiz that Friday but encourage people to come out). Dami is leading the activities. First week of renal but we need ideas on how to make people come out.
    • We’re going to try to get more MS4 involvement – it’s cool because they’re just about to graduate and it’ll be nostalgic. If you have really active MS4s that you know, let them know to come out.
  •  Curriculum – We met with the TBL Committee and Course Director for Colleges last Monday. We plan to present our PC3 proposal for exams at the PCC meeting in May. We are working with DIA on a proposal for the PCC meeting in June. We received feedback via our form about the PC1 awards ceremony. The suggestion was: A Professor should only win one award. For example, if she has the most votes for two, then she would win the more “prestigious” one (MVP) and another Prof. could get the other one (Good Lecturer Award).
    • People being late to iRAT – professionalism or you may not be able to take it.
  • Test – Challenges situation cleared up with Dr. Brickner.
  • DIA- We recently met with Curriculum committee and members of the LGBTQ Student Organization to discuss ways we can improve education related to health concerns in the LGBTQ community. We will be working to come up with a brief outline that the curriculum committee can present. Our goal is to slowly work in slides into our curriculum/ future years that are relevant to certain topics and address real situations we will see as physicians, as well as present board relevant material. Also working on pre-op stuff, more to come.
  • Education IT – None (Still waiting on Dr. Faulkner for updates)
  • Electives – Math in medicine has been fully implemented!
    • Also thinking about a History in Medicine elective. Interest survey will go out in a few days.
  •  Convergence – Convergence Implementation Committee (the faculty) met and we piloted a new activity (building a paper tower) for convergence day. We also talked about maybe having a more clinically oriented activity (maybe a case, maybe something to do with organizing a clinic?). Email/talk to us if you feel strongly one way or another.
    • Interprofessional Leadership Committee (the students) will meet 3/15/17
    • Next social TBD
    • Thinking about making the next convergence activity more healthcare-oriented. Ex. simulate building a healthcare clinic.
  •  Global Health – no updates
  • Social Chairs – working on the boat party. Potential date 5/5/17
    • We need feedback on boat party. We’re thinking 5p-8p on Friday of first week of renal. $25 a person for a keg and pizza. We wanted to make sure there’s nothing coinciding with Friday evening. 60 person capacity.

Committee Updates

  • Research Committee – We will be holding our March Journal Club this Friday March 17th, Rm: D1.100. Edward Daniel (the cool pharm tutor) will be giving a talk on his PhD work. Everyone is welcome to attend! Other upcoming events include a workshop on library tools and research tools like PubMed (Wed. April 5th at noon), and Dr. Tandon’s talk on A Physician’s life in research (Wed. April 12 at noon). Please share these events with your friends and come through, if you’re interested.
  • DART Committee – We met with Drs. Mihalic, Wagner, Wiles, Barker, as well as some student health directors and nurses Dr. Ziebarth and Dr. Leach. We are very pleased to say they absolutely love this idea and are very eager to work with us. We will be meeting again with Dr. Wiles this Friday to go over our upcoming plans which include Wiles Wellness events, setting up a Passport Point system, and much more! If you’re interested, shoot us an email; we would love to hear any ideas!
    • Passport point system – if you attend any of these wellness events, you get points and points can be redeemed for rewards from Wes Norred.

 

 

2/27/14 Student Government Meeting

StuGov Updates – 2/27/17 at 1:00PM

President Updates

  • Faculty and Student Roast – if interested in being involved, talk to Maura
    • April 19th
  • Student of the Week – we will try and make sure to send a reminder to each senator a week in advance so you have ample time to find someone who wants to be featured. Please keep a list of the people who have already been featured, and if possible have a few people lined up in case someone falls through.
  • Top Golf Interprofessional Social was a success, next one is going to be at a brewery.
    • Community Brewery March 11th
    • Not many people went to the top golf event because it was far and timing wasn’t ideal, in the future, will try to maybe do a survey to figure out interest
  • Becker thing = Step 1 resources
    • Setting up an info meeting, need to gauge class interest

StuGov Updates

  • Senators – Currently we have no update, but we will be meeting with the Masters of colleges tomorrow at 5pm to present our proposal for some changes to colleges.
    • About 15 minutes giving them recommendations
    • More time to review physical exam
    • Integrate ethics and cultural discussions at the end of sessions (e.g. Jehovah’s witnesses after cardiovascular)
    • Expectations for the skills clinic vary depending on mentor, need better information for students to know what to expect
    • Kyle: a lot of 2nd years failed their first Shelf (especially family med)
  •  Curriculum – We will meet with the Course Directors for HEME on Monday. On the following Monday, we will meet with the TBL Committee to give feedback on our experience with PBLs/TBLs. In other news, we’ve received a lot of commentary on Colleges, so we plan to meet with Dr. Wagner sometime this month.
    • We brought up diagnostic criteria/risk assessment for Heme and Dr. Shen is thinking about moving the Foundations of Clinical Research stuff to the beginning of the block.
    • Did people like Nanozoomer on the final? It was brought up to us that there was a possibility of cheating
    • Also 25 GB of files is excessive. They talked about meeting to discuss Nanozoomer on exams.
  •  OSR – Met with the OSR executive board/AAMC admins last week. Some things that we discussed include: tuition increases/med student debt, social/political action amongst med students, how the AAMC works, curriculum design in regards to implementing policy and business courses, MD/MBA programs, AAMC policy resources, wellness, Step 2 CS, and how the immigration order impacts Match. Let  me know if you’d like to discuss any of these things further, or would like to talk about wellness or curriculum innovations.
    • It’s hard for AAMC to fight for tuition issues and put an umbrella policy on these things and it needs to be figured out at an institutional level, so if you’re interested in working on it or discussing it, hit up Sanjana.
  • Education IT – Still working with Dr. Faulkner on privacy filter arrangements!
  • Electives – Approved the math in medicine elective
  • Global Health – Global Surgery Students Alliance this Saturday! Originally we wanted to do a watch party sort of event but timing didn’t really work out. We’ll try to do one in the future though!
    • Link will be emailed out.
    • If anyone knows events across the nation that can be livestreamed, let Emily know.
  •  Social Chairs – Post-Heme Turn up was lit. Mavs game coming up.

Committee Updates

  • Ambassadors Committee – Alex and Sanjana have begun working on the Ambassadors handbook, let us know if you’d like to help us out or have ideas of what we should include. Also if you heard any feedback from MS0s during MS0s weekend about what we should improve on or questions that you were frequently asked, we’d love to hear it.

Personal/Student Org updates

  • Pet Therapy
    • Kevin was contacted by Amanda Castillo (head of Health Professions) and they were thinking about doing a joint event on April 26th (2 days before final pulm exam)

 

2/14/2017 Student Government Meeting

StuGov Updates – 2/14/17 at 3:15PM

President Updates

  1. Pet Therapy – March 20th, 2017
    • They emailed us back and told us they usually don’t do student events in March but they will do it around April-May for students who want to do events (like finals time)
  2.  Medical School Roast – Meet with Maura to discuss date and time of event and theme of the event
    1. It will most likely be in early April.
    2. Need to reserve room early to get mics and stuff.
  3. PRE-OP Questionnaire
    1. Study Skills/Wellness workshop 2 weeks in or during Pre-OP? Did individuals like the community service event?
    2. Survey for class – senators send an email.
    3. We’re shooting for at least 100 responses.
  4. DIT Dinner – This wednesday at 5PM
  5. StuGov Social – Next meeting as social outing?
    1. After spring break

StuGov Updates

  • Senators- Senators, as mentioned before, will be meeting with the colleges masters on the 27th of this month to discuss both successes of Colleges system as well as potential improvements. Our recommendations for improvements will focus on three specific points: One, making ethics and cultural discussions more longitudinal throughout the Colleges curriculum. Two, making expectations for standardized patient interviews more clear and attempting to redistribute interviews in order to more consistently improve history taking skills. And three, reviewing and integrating physical exam skills more consistently.
    • Asking if it would be possible to move Thursday colleges to Tuesday for future classes!! Talking to Dr. Wagner about this.
  • Curriculum – We met with the Pre-Clerkship Curriculum Committee on Tuesday, and the whole meeting was dedicated to our proposals. They, particularly the PC3 Directors, were a bit shocked to hear that students didn’t like weekly quizzes, because the Class of 2019 raved about them and older students had suggested it when they were making the new curriculum. We emphasized that our proposal (1 midterm, 1 final, 1 or more lecture problem sets) was for PC2 only, and that we would present a structure for PC3 at a future meeting. Another concern was that the weekly quizzes are used to gauge who is struggling with the material; however, other Deans and Profs. mentioned that week 1 quizzes were usually low and not necessarily reflective of student’s aptitude. We said the midterm would serve the same purpose and give students 2 weeks to review and succeed on the final. One more concern was that the problem set (in Heme) was open book. All in all, the Committee was open to considering our proposal (Heme will be a pilot), and they thanked us for bringing it up (Again, our reasoning for the proposal made a lot of them reconsider some things). We will work on addressing some of their concerns. Preliminarily, our PC3 proposal is as follows: If the block is 4 weeks, then 1 midterm, 1 final, and 1 lecture problem set will occur. If the block is 5 weeks, then 4 quizzes and 1 final will occur. The week 1 quiz will not count for anything, and the best 2 scores out of the remaining 3 quizzes will count for the quiz average. If the block is 7 weeks, then 6 quizzes and 1 final will occur. The week 1 quiz will not count for anything, and the best 4 scores out of the remaining 5 quizzes will count for the quiz average.
  • Test – We talked to Dr. Chen about the recent postquiz review and were able to get a few questions accepted dealing with the alpha hemoglobin and hydrops fetalis, as well as the Vitamin K meeting. We will continue to contact Dr. Shen about other questions that were asked
  • OSR- I’m hosting a meeting on 2/16 at 3:00 PM in the library with Dart+Senators to discuss wellness in preparation for the OSR conference in April. Everyone is welcome to attend, and if you want to discuss other issues you’d like be to look into, feel free to stop by as well.
  • DIA- We will be meeting with Dr. Nesbitt and the other DIA officers to update everyone on our meeting with Dr. Carter as well as discuss subcommittees of DIA, which include Medical Education, Medical Research, and PRE-OP.
  • Education IT – Still working on discounts for privacy screen  
  • Electives – Scheduled to meet with Dr. Wagner and Betty to discuss and approve the Math in Medicine elective. Proposal has met all requirements so it should be approved quickly. Trying to implement the class this term itself.
  • Convergence – Top Golf Event Sunday, 2/26 at 11 AM. Please Publicize!
    • We had a meeting – we will be sticking with the old pain convergence activities and progress the same way.
    • Health Professionals Wide Facebook Group
    • We will be hosting our next event (after Top Golf) sooner than later at the Community Brewery on March 11 at 5-7PM.  A flyer will be created (by Elise or Kevin) and distributed AFTER Top Golf has occurred.
    • Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 15th at 5:15PM
  •  Global Health – No updates
  • Social Chairs – MS0 social was a success! We will be planning boat party soon + other small events (Mavs game, etc)

Committee Updates

  • Ambassadors Committee- The Ambassadors committee met on Monday of last week to discuss putting together a “guidebook” of sorts for the ambassadors. It will include template emails, a timeline, links to application websites, faculty email addresses, and any other resources necessary to ensure that ambassadors are not spending too much of their very valuable summer break communicating with incoming MS1s. Before the end of February we are hoping to have this completed. Additionally, we are currently gathering feedback regarding resources (like the “You’re in Now What?” page and Peoplesoft) that students use prior to arriving on campus. If you have any particular concerns/comments regarding these resources please notify Alex or Sanjana, who would greatly appreciate it.
  • Research Committee – Meeting with Dr. Tandon next week February 20 to discuss first possible workshop. We have divided the subcommittee into smaller sub-subcommittees each tasked with their own agendas that is relevant to SRS’s overall mission statement. We have a general meeting on Wednesday, March 1st at 12:15PM.  On our agenda for the various subcommittees is (Resources) will create a website platform and advertise our group facebook page,  (Journal Club) will work on the upcoming Journal Club dates & speakers, and (workshops) will meet with with Dr. Tandon to further detail the first program. One of the important upcoming program idea we have is “Myths in Medical Research” which we believe is an important introduction for the organization.
  • DART Committee – We will be meeting on Thursday at 2:45 PM to discuss our future meeting with Dr. Wiles and Dr. Wagner, as well as collaborate with our OSR rep. Sanjana to investigate how other medical schools engage students in Wellness activities as well as to see what specific programs targeting mental health, if any, medical schools have. Additionally, we are thinking of also gathering more data on mental health across national medical schools by sending out surveys on topics such as how often are mental health offices utilized and where do students go to first, second, and third when they are stressed/ “in trouble”.
  • Thank You Committee – Cards for Derm patients are sent, Dr Au’s patient card is written and ready to be delivered, Cards for the 2 Heme patients are in the works.

Personal/Student Org updates

  • Rachel Shober – Planned Parenthood Planning Meeting – Wednesday at Wednesday at 7pm: 2808 McKinney Ave Apt. 209A

2/3 Student Government Meeting

StuGov Updates – 2/3/17 at 10:45AM

President Updates

  • Pet Therapy – Kevin and Yarlini researched other pet therapy places – They will follow up with Suzi
    • Contacting the organization has been difficult but Yarlini and Kevin are working on it.
    • Tentative date – March 20th before our final, before spring break.
  • Anatomy Vigil – will purchase E4 bell for future vigils and find a bell holder to carry tradition
    • Met with Dr. Toller (UTSW alum) who plays bells – Class of 1954 will sponsor it so we’ll have bells.
  • DIT Dinner – free dinner, $150 discount, free t-shirts, $5 per person for charity of our choice, and a raffle for a free DIT Step 1 Review Course. All of this just for your presence at 18th & Vine BBQ on February 15th.
    • We should get at least 25-50 people here.
    • Senators – send out an email around February 10th.
    • The course here is $825.
  • Faculty Excellence Reception -February 14th at 12PM: Free food and awards
    • Voting ends on the 8th of February
    • Professors have been RSVPing – pizza for everyone; sandwich boxes for professors.
    • We will need people to help with setting up the food and welcoming professors
  • MS0 weekend — if you have time to help out, please let us know
    • Carrel Cafe is coming along!
    • Big concern is the apartments – Saturday afternoon is apartment tour – if anyone has time to be a bus captain or anything like that, please let us know. (4 buses with MS0s with 1 captain/bus – ideally more captains per bus)
    • 10 AM to 3 PM

StuGov Updates

  • Senators- We met with Dr. Wagner (&Co.) this past Monday. During our meeting, we presented our 3 main College’s improvements: 1. Incorporating Culture and Ethics longitudinally throughout sessions 2. Improve standardized patient interviews by making expectations clearer 3. Focus more on reviewing and practicing physical exam skills consistently. Overall, the feedback was taken very well from this preliminary meeting. We will be presenting to the College Masters Feb. 27th with our final version. Lastly, there was a brief mention of an initiative to bring in residents to supplement our College’s sessions.
  • There was also a meeting with the Masters this week – Yarlini attended – we discussed the success of the LOOK program from Dr. Sepdham, and feedback from this would be really great. This past year, 13 students and this year, 68 people applied and 26 were taken. He hopes they have a good experience and requests feedback.
  • Curriculum – We had our Feedback Meeting with the Course Directors for MSKS on Monday. We will make 2 proposals to the Pre-Clerkship Curriculum Committee next week: 1. The incorporation of 1 midterm and 1 final, with any other quizzes converted to Moodle Problem Sets, in PC2 courses. 2. The utilization of recorded standardized patient encounters from Colleges or websites that have patients or actors that talk about the symptoms of the diseases we’re learning about in class as a supplementary resource for students.
    • We really liked the MSK Reviews! We would like these again.
    • We weren’t quite ready for the style of clinical questions on rheumatology – stem was nice, but we weren’t really ready to go through the choices the way they were presented. Dr. Wagner brought up the MKSAP – bank with clinical questions. Good resource for upcoming assessments.
    • Board Vitals as a good free resource with questions.
    • In upcoming clerskhip meeting, they will be discussing feedback from other classes as well.
  • OSR-I’m going to be working with DIA on their “Diversity Curriculum” project. I’m also making some more adjustments to my own curriculum project based off the AAMC’s recommendations-it will be more of an informal questionnaire than a survey in order to bypass some IRB and timing issues. I will be attending an AAMC OSR conference in April, so if there’s an issue of particular importance to you, please talk to me. If there’s something you want me to be on the look out for, or advocate for, let me know as well.
    • Sanjana – They will be focusing a lot on wellness in the AAMC OSR conference – I want to meet with senators and DART subcommittee before the conference.
  • DIA- Skype meeting with Dr. Carter on Wednesday, February 1st at 2:40 pm. We will update the student government on our meeting during our next meeting.
    • They are incorporating more LGBTQ issues into their curriculum. Best way to do this is by first talking to course directors and asking if we could look through the syllabus and see what places we could possible put these issues in.
    • Would be great to add a slide or 2, giving some cultural relevance to our lectures. It will definitely be very relevant when we get to endocrinology, and the impact of hormones on transgender communities. It is important to put this kind of information out there, especially for people who have not been exposed to it before.
    • Dr. Carter said cultural competence is starting to become more relevant with test-taking as well.
    • To senators: we have some feedback from our focus group if you want that before your meeting.
    • Rachel: That would work well with our longitudinal ethics point that we are bringing up.
  • Education IT – Met with Faulkner about iPad support for testing purposes – 25% have interest in moving this forward, which is pretty significant given that most people probably wouldn’t use their iPad for an exam anyways. Also need to see if we can have expanded access to L building study rooms. Kevin is working with a company on a bulk order for privacy screens, for which we will be getting a school subsidy. Tell all your friends to fill out the interest form!
  • Convergence – Next social at Top Golf on 2/26 (more info to come)
    • Convergence implementation committee meeting 2/7 (2 weeks)
    • Next interprofessional leadership committee meeting 2/13 @ 5:15 PM – we will be talking about integrating volunteer activities across the different schools.
  • Global Health – Pre-trip workshop went well, some logistical follow-ups and feedback for future workshops
    • We will have surveys to gauge ways to improve for future years.
    • We also did cervical health awareness this week, and we were thinking about incorporating it into the student government blog to give it more attention.
  •  Social Chairs – working on a non-drinking MS0 social for MS0 weekend
    • Maybe something at Social Pie. More details to come.
    • Social pie is tiny.
    • It was late and at a bar last year.
    • Something lowkey like a brewery.

Committee Updates

  • Ambassadors Committee- We’re going to have a meeting on Monday at 4PM to discuss any resources we should create to help ambassadors in guiding the MS2021s, as well as how we can improve the “You’re in, Now what?” page. Look out for an email with more info and feel free to join us.
  • Research Committee – Sent out our Opportunities & Tools sheet. We have made our calendar and Facebook group (join!). We will be having our meeting after this meeting, so feel free to come by if you’d like. If anyone hears of any feedback or comments, please let us know!
    • Working on website – hopefully be done by February.
    • Working with someone named Dr. Tandon in cardio bioengineering field – he could come in to talk about grant writing and other research tools.
  •  DART Committee – We will be contacting Dr. Wiles and Dr. Wagner to introduce the committee and hopefully set up our first monthly discussion. We are thinking it might include something on mental health of foreign students and how we as a class should approach and help our fellow students out during these troubling times.
  • Thank You Committee – Thank you to Dermatology patients – obtaining list of names from Dr Wickless
    • Also going to get a card to the patient from first day of MSK and to Dr Nero’s friend (Dawn Johnson)

1/23/2016 Student Government Meeting

StuGov Updates – 1/23/2016 at 1PM

President Updates:

  • SLC – Meeting this Friday with new director of student financial aid – Ms. Melet Leafgreen
    1. For reimbursements and financial stuff, go to Bass office.
    2. Senators – if you see an email about an upcoming meeting, please ask students to submit feedback.
  •   Doctors in Training Presentation Dinner – free dinner, $150 discount, free t-shirts, $5 per person for charity of our choice, and a raffle for a free DIT Step 1 Review Course. All of this just for your presence at 18th & Vine BBQ on February 15th.
    1. We should get at least 25-50 people here.
    2. Senators – send out an email around February 10th.
    3. The course here is $825.
  •  Pet Therapy – Week of March 20
    1. Yarlini and Kevin are working on contacting an organization for this.
  • Faculty Excellence Reception – February 14th
    1. More information to come.
  •  MS0 Weekend Social – work with social chairs
    1. As part of MS0 committee, we were told that there was a social for incoming students last year so maybe social chairs should plan a social for incoming students this year – maybe a happy hour or something (not The Den).
  • MSO Carrel CafeFriday, February 10th from 11:45AM-1PM
    1. Dami has taken the lead on this. Encourage everyone to take part in this. Everything is free – just encourage MS0s to choose UTSW. Tell students to sign up.

StuGov Updates

  • Senators- We are working on our presentation for the meeting with Masters on February 27th. We will bring up 3 main problems with the Colleges curriculum and possible solutions to those problems. If anyone wants to discuss this with us in more detail, we will be available after the meeting!
    1. We met Saturday and went through the surveys and identified some problems that we want to address. We can discuss this after the meeting if anyone has any questions. We will be presenting these to Dr. Wagner on the 30th to see what he thinks and possibly come up with some solutions.
  • Curriculum – We will meet with the Course Directors for Heme. For Class of 2021, VA Credentialing will be in Orientation week, and the Skills Clinic will still occur before the Macromolecules exam.
    1. Right after the final, you need to present anything that you want told to course directors. Very fast turnaround.
  • Test – Meeting with Dr. Au Monday at 2 PM.
  • OSR-No updates
  • DIA- Had a campus wide DIA representatives meeting. We are planning a Dishing with DIA event for the next 2 Diversity Lunch and Learns. We will be having a Diversity Lunch and Learn on the “Hispanic/Latino Patient” this Wednesday, January 25th. Lunch will be provided.
    1. Resident at UT Houston that implemented their Cultural Competency program, so we will be meeting with him in the next few weeks to get some ideas and find ways to add to our curriculum. Sanjana will definitely be there.
    2. Talking about integrating cultural scenarios with topics we discuss in Colleges.
  • Education IT – Met with Dr. Faulkner about IT education updates; created a survey for student interest in IPad usage for examinations; discussed need for privacy screen for next block.
    1. Consider doing it after spring break? So students have more time.
    2. Consider bulk order.
    3. Maybe integrate with student orgs for during orientation.
  • Electives – No updates
  • Convergence – First interprofessional social went wonderfully! Great turnout; thank you to to all who came and to all who helped publicize the event.
    1. Next social at Top Golf on 2/26 (more info to come)
      1. Golden weekend!!
    2.  Convergence implementation committee meeting 2/7 (2 weeks)
    3. Next interprofessional leadership committee meeting 2/13 @ 5:15 PM
  • Global Health
    1. No updates
  • Social Chairs
    1. Will have MSK turn-up
    2. Farmer’s Market Sunday 1/29
  •  Secretary
  • Committee Updates
  • Welcome Committee- We met with Wes and Anne on Friday. We’re going to begin implementing our program starting in April/May. In the meantime, we will be coming up with a guidebook for all of our ambassadors to use and working with Wes and Anne to improve the resources that are already in place to help students transition to med school.
    1. Now the Ambassador Committee.
    2. We will start recruiting MS1s to be ambassadors when we get closer to April/May so the MS0 list will be solidified.
    3. We’re working on a guidebook with resources.
    4. You’re In, Now What website will be updated and revamped. Please let us know any suggestions you have. This website should be one stop shop for post-admission instructions.
    5. Try to improve PeopleSoft to be a better checklist.
  • Research Committee – List of research opportunities to sent out on Friday after exam. We will meet with Amanda and Dr. Galindo to set up first workshop of the month. We have divided our subcommittee into sub-sub committees each in charge of various aspects of research committee ( Research opportunities, Journal Club, and workshops).
    1. Successful first monthly discussion with presentations by Anish and Lawrence. We had great feedback.
    2. First email will have 80-90 research opportunities, mostly clinical.
    3. We will be working with Waqas, Anish and Kevin to work on setting up the website.
    4. Workshop and Journal Club in February.
    5. Working on making a calendar to keep student body updated.
    6. Working on making a Facebook page.
    7. Aakash will email students about upcoming dates.
  • DART Committee – We will draft an email for social responsibility to be sent with the MSK after-party email invite. We will contact Dr. Wiles to set up monthly discussions in respect to D.A.R.T.
  • Thank You Committee – No updates.
  • Personal/Student Org updates
  • Healthcare Justice Forum
    1. We’re starting a forum that will be held at the end of Feb with speakers talking about the ACA and the changes it’s undergoing. We, as a group of students, feel it’s important to be educated on health policy, so we can educate our patients about policy and learn about what we can and can’t say. If you want to get involved in the planning, contact Sanjana or Umaru.
    2. Also thinking about a couple of other events before the forum.
  • United 2 Serve Positions
    1. Still positions for booths and stuff that are still available.
    2. There are a bunch of positions for Science Zone and we need people to be on some of the booths.
  •  We used to have 3 weeks and just a final exam – instead of weekly quizzes, what are opinions on there being Moodle quizzes/problem sets that might not be graded.
    1. Quizzes every Friday are burning students out.

 

1/12/2016 Student Government Meeting

StuGov Updates – 1/12/2017 at 2:45PM

President Updates

  1. Vote on Kyle Saysana to replace Al Gilani as Convergence Representative
    • All voted in favor of Kyle as new Convergence Rep.
  2. Student Government Schedule – Discuss objections to proposed meeting dates/ times and vote
    • All voted in favor of new schedule.
  3. Dog Therapy Event for spring semester
    • Yarlini and Kevin will be trying to coordinate a dog therapy event before spring break, and we will try to have 2 this semester.
  4. Social event on Saturday at Social Pie 2-5PM
  5. Faculty Excellence Reception – Feb 14 at 12PM
    • Room has been booked. 
    • There will be a roast for students and then the next day the faculty excellence lunch.
  6. Pathoma
    • We’ve been in touch over break and they’ve offered the deal again to the end of January. Tell people not to wait for the next time the deal is offered because they may not offer it again.

StuGov Updates

  1. Senators- The Summer Olympics are on May 3rd – Dami is leading the Olympics again! The Senators have a Meeting with the Masters at the end of February – if there are any comments that people have on the Colleges curriculum or anything they feel strongly about, please let your senator know before then.
  2. Curriculum – We are collecting feedback on the PC1 calendar and any preliminary thoughts on the PC2 one.
    • We are going to compile a formal document for Dr. Mihalic. This is your chance to point out small things that happened during PC1 that you would like changed – please send to Christian and Aakash.
  3. Test – We contacted the professors for MSKS, and they’ve agreed to have us conduct quiz/test reviews at the review sessions for the course, as well as seeing our suggestions for the course
  4. OSR- We’re pulling out of the OSR action against Tom Price. I’ve sent my project proposal (student satisfaction with PC curriculum length) and should be hearing back soon so I can get started.
  5. DIA- We have completed the transcript and summary of the DIA PC1 Focus Group meeting notes. We will email copies of the notes to the Clementine and Umaru.  
  6. Education IT – We are setting up a meeting with Dr. Faulkner about recent IT feedback and finding out any student concerns with EPIC training in the past.
    • Can we ask to get badge access to the L2 rooms?
  7. Electives – just received an elective proposal from Umaru and Mahmoud called “Healthcare in Underserved Communities.” Have sent it along to the elective committee and we will work with the Umaru and Mahmoud to make any changes, and then approve it as soon as possible.
  8. Convergence – New Convergence chair proposal
    • Institutional Leadership Group – meeting is this Thursday at 5pm. We will be hosting a social mixer this Saturday from 2PM – 6PM at Social Pie.
    • Senators – Send an email to your colleges by end of the Thursday
    • Convergence – Send email Friday evening to the class
    • Committee implementation meeting February first week.
  9. Global Health
    • Pre-trip workshop scheduled for January 23rd
    • Want to make process to go on global trips more streamlined. Jide and Emily have been working to organize a list of mentors. Please spread the news about the upcoming workshop.
  10. Social Chairs
    • Talking about doing a boat party this spring instead of the fall
    • Will plan an event for post-MSK block

Committee Updates

  1. Welcome Committee-Alex and Sanjana are meeting with Wes on 1/17 to discuss the next steps. Once match happens, we’ll start pairing MS2020 with students in MS2021.
  2. Research Committee – we have organized research opportunities given to us from medical student research office. We are working on creating a student web-based platform, organizing workshops, and establishing journal clubs. We are hoping to meet with Amanda and Dr. Galindo to discuss programming and our continuous role in assisting medical student research. The last meeting the committee had was on last Friday, Jan 6!
  3. DART Committee – we met on Monday January 9 with social chairs and senators to discuss our goals for the semester and next fall. We hope for social chairs to help put together a small email to the class that can be attached to each social event to remind the class to be responsible at the event, as well as help coordinate the “sober squad” (name still TBD). Senators will help set up monthly round-table discussions with the Mental Health team, hopefully to begin sometime in February/March.
  4. Thank You Committee – vote on proposed new committee
    • Christy and Haley will be heading this committee.
    • This committee will write thank you cards to patients who come in and speak.
    • All voted in favor of the thank you committee.

Personal/Student Org updates

  1. Texas Two Step – EMIG: Emily Huang
    • Statewide event, all 11 TX med schools
    • We need lots of volunteers
    • Going into communities and teaching hands-on CPR
    • Feb 11 and 12
  2. Healthcare forum and Healthcare in Underserved Communities Elective

                       

12/7/2016 Student Government Meeting

StuGov Meeting Agenda – December 7th, 2016 at 2:45pm

  1. Welcome
  2. Co-Presidents’ Updates
    1. Website overhaul – will be addressed by IT
    2. Toy Drive is over
    3. MS2 Election on Friday
    4. Therapy Dogs Event – Yarlini and Kevin
    5. New update submission online document feedback
  3. StuGov Updates
    1. Senators
      • Senators would like to thank everyone that participated in the Winter Olympics and we will be working on few things for the next Olympics.
      • Also, survey will be sent to everyone soon with regards to this semester’s colleges.
    2. Curriculum
      • We had a feedback meeting with the Course Directors for Human Structures last Wednesday.
      • We attended a Pre-Clerkship Curriculum meeting on Tuesday.
    3. Test – no updates
    4. OSR
      • The OSR 2020 project will be about student satisfaction with different preclinical curriculum tracks (1 yr vs 1.5 yr vs 2 yr). I’m in the process of writing my project proposal and will send it to the AAMC soon, and get started on writing the survey afterwards.
      • Project involving Dr. Tom Price has been postponed indefinitely. A group of students within the OSR are taking action against the nomination of Dr. Tom Price (Republican from Georgia) as DHHS Secretary.
    5.  DIA
      • Focus group was completed, 20 students attended, and we received valuable info which will be analyzed after break.
      • We would, at some point, hope to meet with Curriculum committee to discuss the feedback we received and improve diversity.
      • We will hold another Dishing With DIA in the spring.
      • The main topics that came up: we don’t really learn about how different cultures exist amongst the patients we see until the last block. We would want patients to maybe come in and talk about their cultural background and how it plays into their care.
      • Another topic was the anonymous submission forms – if incidents were to happen, regarding discrimination, there is an overwhelming consensus that it is not actually anonymous. There is a certain number of under-represented students, so even if they did submit a form, people would be able to pinpoint who did it.
    6. Education IT
      • Met with website administration staff last week with other class presidents to give feedback on the design of the new .edu feedback. If anyone is interested in getting involved (or has any ideas) in helping the website cater to student needs, let me know!
    7.  Electives
      • Met with Cooper and discussed his plan to come up with a Math in Medicine elective. The elective will talk about involving math in medicine and understanding why things happen, rather than just being told. There is a lot of strong interest in the class.
    8. Global Health
      • The GHIG officers have been selected! We’ll have our first officer meeting soon to begin discussing future events. Ideas include global awareness days, global health conference, skills clinics, etc.
      • Global health project workshop in early January
    9. Social Chairs
      •  we broke even and made more for prom. We want people to show up earlier (not like a social where we show up late) because it is a formal event. We need to check people in and we want to be done with that by 11. Possible drink vouchers for those who show up early.
  1. DART – Drug and Alcohol Responsibility Team: hoping to tackle education of student body on social responsibility and increasing awareness of substance abuse and mental health; continuously making sure students take responsibility for themselves and each other; hopefully have monthly round table discussions and helping keep people on track and keeping them thinking about these issues. We also want to have a pre-OP symposium to address alcohol and how to party safely. We also want to have a formal DD service and alcohol monitors at each event (working with social chairs.) We’ll also be working with welcoming committee to work out a mentoring thing. All voted in favor of DART committee.
  1. Research subcommittee met last week. We have 17 members. Meeting went well. We’ll be meeting with Amanda to discuss goals submitted by each member. We’ll be sending emails to professors over winter break and by beginning of January, we’ll have an organized list of research opportunities for students to look into.