Halfway through MSK-S already. Time is flying by!
It’s been awesome to see how involved our class has been on campus and in the community, taking over the leadership of student organizations, free clinics, etc… Keep up the great work!
Here are the news for this week.
1. Medical Student Research Forum – We hope to see everyone at the 55th Annual Medical Student Research Forum on Tuesday, January 17th from 2:00-5:00 pm.
After your M&M talk next Tuesday from 1-2 in D1.700, please join us at the 55th Annual Medical Student Research Forum on January 17th from 2:00-4:00 pm in the D1.600, followed by the poster presentations and reception from 4:00-5:00pm outside the South Campus cafeteria.
The Forum is an excellent time to applaud fellow students for their research endeavors, as well as discover potential mentors for research projects for the Summer Research Program. As an indication of genuine research interest, attendance at the Medical Student Research Forum will be used as a criterion for the selection of medical students to receive stipend support through the UTSW Summer Research Program. Sign-in sheets will be provided at the doors to the lecture hall.
2. Pathoma – See post from last week, the deal begins on 1/25, we will send an email with instructions that day. Reminder: This will be the last time we offer a deal for Pathoma.
3. TB screening starts on Wednesday, we all have to get it done, so don’t forget! Deadline: Feb 10th.
WHAT: QuantiFERON-TB Gold (QFT)
WHO: ALL clinical students are required to have the QFT blood test. There are NO EXCEPTIONS this year. Students with history of a past positive TB screen or treatment for latent TB ARE STILL REQUIRED to have a QFT.
WHERE: Student Health (Aston 8th floor)
WHEN: January 18th – February 10th from 8:30am to 4:00pm. See attached calendars.
WHY: It is an annual requirement for all clinical students
HOW: Come to Student Health with your UTSW photo ID, get a requisition, and get your blood drawn. No appointment necessary.
QUESTIONS – Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-645-8690
4. Student Government – Thank you Committee – We have started a “thank you committee” which aims to show our appreciation to patients, faculty, and staff at UT Southwestern. Please contact Christy Hinz, Hayley Williams, or Clementine Young for more information.
5. Please fill out the housing survey Dr. Mihalic sent out. It’s quick and it will help the MS0s tremendously in their search for a new home.
6. Save The Date: Faculty Excellence Reception – Feb 14 at 12pm in D1.700. We will send out a ballot soon and you can vote on which professors and courses were so awesome that they deserve an award.
7. Check out the Student Profile tab to learn more about Zachariah Burns of Sprague College.
8. Social Pie Mixer – 30 to 40 people from almost all programs at UTSW attended this interprofessional event. Thanks to all that came. We look forward to organizing the next interprofessional event soon at Top Golf.
9. Texas Two Step: Save a Life CPR Training Event – UT Southwestern’s EMIG is looking for volunteers on Feb 11th and Feb 12th (see their email for additional information). Here is the link to the volunteer sign up sheet: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc_yCox44Nx2AiFtJ1C5srZg9MbZPoc6k-e9PoiFx6yIGXUdg/viewform
Volunteers will instruct visitors on how to perform two-step hands-only CPR on mannequins. If you are interested in volunteering for the event on Saturday, February 11, 2017 or Sunday, February 12, 2017, please fill out the google form linked above.
Don’t forget to look out for one another as we enter colder, darker, rainier months. If you need anything or have suggestions, please let us know.
Clementine and Umaru